Discover data and insights on the awareness of Malaysians and their opinions about the events that took place on 13 May 1969. Understand their level of understanding and what their perception is on issues connected to the incident today.
Some points to take note of are:
- 75% believe that May 13 has been misused by politicians for political reasons.
- Half of the respondents (53%) feel that given the present political context, a repeat of the May 13 riots is likely.
- Nearly half (41%) believe that after 50 years, Malaysia has still not addressed the issues that led to May 13.
- Almost all respondents (82%) think Malaysia still has race relation issues that need to be addressed.
- Most believe that the top 3 responsible parties for unity between races are society (62%), schools & educational institutions (60%) and the government (59%).
- More than one third (32%) of respondents do not understand the cause of the May 13 incident, while 21% do not know what happened.
- The top 3 sources for those who are aware of May 13 are from school (61%), books (52%) and social media (41%)
- Most Malays (78%) believe Malaysia needs to improve working opportunities with great emphasis, while most Chinese (82%) and Indians (80%) think equal rights and benefits for all races needs improvement.
This data is publicly available for use. If you are using this data, you would need to attribute the data to Vase.ai by stating "Survey conducted by Vase.ai in collaboration with Malaysiakini. Find the data at https://vase.ai/resources/malaysian-awareness-and-understanding-of-events-that-took-place-on-13-may-1969"
If you would like to participate in surveys and get rewarded, please click here.
If you would like to find out more about our market research services, drop us your contact here.
This work is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License. To view a copy of this license, visit http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/
The views and opinions expressed in the report above are an aggregate analysis taken from 1,029 respondents sampled according to Malaysian Census and Malaysian Internet Census data. This aggregate analysis does not necessarily mirror the values and opinions of Vase Technologies Sdn Bhd (1152290-M). Vase Technologies is the operator of a platform to collect user opinions, and as such will not take any liability for the statements above. In case of any damages or other liabilities arising, no party can be liable as the data above is taken in aggregate.