Discover data and insights on Malaysians current media consumption and learn about the most accessed media outlets and how they feel about the internet and technology.
Interesting points to note are:
- Only 38% believe that offline media will slowly phase out in the next 5 years, while 62% believe it will still be relevant.
- Top 3 offline media outlets that are consumed the most is the television (82%), the radio (58%), and newspapers (47%).
- Top 3 English language newspapers that respondents frequently read are The Star (69%), New Straits Times (59%), and The Sun (33%).
- Top 3 Malay language newspapers that respondents frequently read are Harian Metro (68%), Berita Harian (57%), and Utusan Malaysia (40%).
- The top 3 online English newspapers that respondents frequently read are The Star Online (76%), Malaysiakini (65%), and The Malay Mail Online (38%).
- Top 3 Malay language online newspapers which respondents frequently read are Harian Metro (70%), Berita Harian (69%), and Utusan (50%).
- Top 3 Social Media platforms/apps which respondents have an account with are Facebook (93%), Youtube (82%), and Instagram (72%). Only 40% have a Twitter account and only 23% have a LinkedIn account.
- The top 3 platforms which social media users frequently access are Facebook (52%), Youtube (19%), and Instagram (17%). Only 9% say they frequently access Twitter.
- Respondents who have ad-blockers installed say advertisers could improve netizens experience with online ads by minimising the amount of ads per page (53%), ads that do not interrupt browsing such as pop-ups (50%), and allowing users to have control over music or video ads (39%).
- 54% say they are aware of the Personal Data Protection Act (PDPA) but are unsure of what it regulates, while only 27% are fully aware of the act and what it regulates.
- In the topic of online privacy, 62% express concern over the internet eroding their personal privacy, while 48% say they prefer to be anonymous when using the internet.
This data is publicly available for use. If you are using this data, you would need to attribute the data to Vase.ai by stating "Survey conducted by Vase.ai. Find the data at "https://vase.ai/resources/malaysias-media-consumption-2019"
If you would like to participate in surveys and get rewarded, please click here.
If you would like to find out more about our market research services, drop us your contact here.
This work is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License. To view a copy of this license, visit http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/