COVID-19 has caused our government to issue a movement control order (MCO) which sets restrictions on Malaysians being outdoors. This was especially crucial in curbing the spread of the COVID-19 virus. Read on to learn how Malaysians are keeping up-to-date with COVID-19 news developments and types of media content they are indulging in while being confined to their homes.
Some points to take note of are:
- 51% of Malaysians are closely following news every other hour on how to protect themselves against COVID-19, while 47% are following closely every other hour on the total cases in Malaysia.
- Apart from the News, top 5 content Malaysians are indulging in currently are Movies (67%), TV Series/Dramas (62%), Cooking Shows (35%), Online Streaming Sites (28%), and Documentaries (27%).
- Top used TV/Video services are Youtube (67%), Facebook Watch (47%), Astro/AstroGo (26%), Netflix (26%), and iFlix (13%).
- Consumers have newly subscribed to services such as Netflix (12%), Shopee (11%), iFlix (11%), Online grocers (11%), and Lazada (10%) since March 2020.
- 38% of Malaysians have children who are currently in Primary School, while 33% have children in secondary school.
- 79% of those who have children say their child's school/enrichment/tuition centre continue to communicate during this COVID-19 MCO period to keep up with the education progress of their children.
- 80% of parents say their children's education centres currently use WhatsApp messages to communicate, while 23% use video/conference calls. Only 19% communicate via phone calls.
This data is publicly available for use. If you are using this data, you would need to attribute the data to Vase.ai by stating "Survey conducted by Vase.ai. Find the data at "https://vase.ai/resources/malaysians-media-consumption-amidst-covid-19-mco"
If you would like to participate in surveys and get rewarded, please click here.
If you would like to find out more about our market research services, drop us your contact here.
This work is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License. To view a copy of this license, visit http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/
The views and opinions expressed in the report above are an aggregate analysis taken from 1,100 respondents sampled according to Nationally Representative Malaysians of various Industries. This aggregate analysis does not mirror the values and opinions of Vase Technologies Sdn Bhd (1152290-M).
Vase Technologies is the operator of a platform to collect user opinions, and as such will not take any liability for the statements above. In case of any damages or other liabilities arising, no party can be liable as the data above is taken in aggregate.